Monday, January 13, 2014

Just a Little Floccinauccinihilipilification

Top of the morning to ya!







   I learned a new term today. Bellwhether. Used in a poem my father used to read to us as children: The Calf Path.  - So, I went to add it to my repertoire of English words on my faithful iPhone. I keep them in my notes with the intention of using them and, OH, how the list has increased!... Rapidly. Briskly! Posthaste!! PRECIPITATELY!!!

   I digress.


Bellwhether: an entity in a specific arena used to influence or create trends or to presage future happenings.

   The everyday use of elaborate vocabulary is just not my schtick. My family likes to play vocabulary wars and some will practice subterfuge by pulling out 'The Gilded Tongue' or the faithful 'Thessy' in hopes of winning by 'wow-ing' the other contestants.

   Me??... I give myself away by coming up with sentences like such:

    After glissading down the mountainside, I was greeted by the sight of a hut surrounded by a verdure of over-grown grass that almost seemed to crenelate the inhabitance. I rubbed my eyes to make sure what I beheld was real... The pressure of my fists against my eyelids creating phosphenes that I attempted to blink away.


   I feel much like I am sure Linus (Matt Damon) did in Ocean's 12 in the scene where he was expected to come up with a riddle... Someone please just rescue me and knock me out with a cudgel!!


   Whelp... I think I used all of my vocabulary words. I can move on with a clear conscience!


"Well... That's all I have to say about that."


 

   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment