Friday, August 9, 2013

Practice What You Pinterest


Trial run recipe for some chocolate chip cookies that got me salivating on Pinterest. They turned out ok considering that I didn't have everything I needed. However, I definitely have notes for next time.



Top of the morning to ya!

   Brand new blog and I am already slacking. This post was left in drafts, yesterday; but I'm kind of glad because I ended up changing it a bit. I want to be consistent but not boring... And when I returned to my original post, I realised it was a good thing I walked away for a few hours so I could look at it with fresh eyes. 

   The inspiration for this blog is really to help me keep track of the baking I do. So, I decided to share different trial-run recipes that I've worked on as we wait for all of our cooking supplies to arrive in our shipment.  

    Back in Houston, I was blessed with the opportunity to learn under a woman who opened her dream bakery. She named the shop after her mother who was also a great baker and her signature items were mostly her mom's recipes. If you ever land in Houston, I recommend that you visit MargieBeth's Bake Shop

   Thanks to that experience, I have a renewed passion for baking and am eager to adapt and perfect different recipes. I come from a semi-long line of bakers and my maternal grandfather actually went to culinary art school in Pittsburgh. (He was generous enough to give me all of his books from that experience.) My pap is an INCREDIBLE chef. He can make anything and it always tastes better than the original recipe. In fact, he is quite the renaissance man. My grandmother is one blessed woman! ;-)

   Recipes can be broad, endless, and sometimes overwhelming. I've decided to make my Pin-oholic self productive by practicing what I pin...
   


 I used chocolate "chips" and hazelnut milk chocolate bars for this recipe. The browned butter really made them look darker. 


     I began very simply with this recipe I pinned on my board 'Sobremesas'. Being a slight rebel at heart  (as far as wanting to add my own twist to anything creative), I have adopted what I heard a chef say: 

A true chef has at least one twist or secret ingredient that  they incorporate into their baking/cooking. 

   The lady I worked for in Houston once mentioned in conversation that her daughter had found some cookie recipe where you brown the butter before creaming it with the sugar. This definitely seemed like a novel idea and would perhaps make the dough even more rich. Graeme and I agreed after tasting the dough that it resembled a very mild rum flavour. Yum!

   To my dismay, I absent-mindedly did not take photos of the finished product. They looked pretty because I refrigerated the balls of dough for a day. However, I was not pleased with the texture. 

   

    Next time, eh? :-)





"Well... That's all I have to say about that."


  



 








No comments:

Post a Comment