Sunday, May 4, 2014

Biblical Femininity



Top of the morning to ya!


    Grace Kelley - Princess Grace - has been my fashion icon and the perfect depiction of true femininity in my mind since I watched "To Catch a Thief" as a little girl. Her diction, her tone, how she walked, how she carried herself, the tilt of her head, her dress, in everything... She lived up to her name: Grace. 

    Ever since the first moment I laid eyes on her and into my mid-teenage years, I practiced how I squared my shoulders, how I talked, how I ate, I even tried to walk around with a book on my head, etc. I wanted to BE her. ... When I was 18 - initially unbeknownst to me - I pursued a job and worked in bridal couture under the man who was tutored by the designer of Kelley's bridesmaid dresses.

    I admire women who take pride in their appearance but who aren't loud about it. Women who are the backbone of their men; but do not go around parading this. Proverbs even condones this woman. She is a mother. A wife. An entrepreneur. She is strong. Wise. Honoured. Her husband is able to speak in the counsel and be considered because she fully supports him... But she seeks nothing for her own personal selfish gain or accolades.

   The feminists have it all wrong, you see. God intended for us to have influence. Have you not heard??


 "The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world."



   But the inspiration for this post is not necessarily to pursue this point. Rather, my mind is absorbed by thoughts concerning the outcome/result of the rejection of true femininity as God designed it. 
   My mom sent an article from CNN to my family and me about how people lack pride in their clothing. Even in the Church, now, we see tackily-dressed adults and youth. They seem to not only lack respect for others... But respect for themselves.

   There are two extremes: legalism and liberalism. Both are incorrect. In order to avoid being labeled as "legalists" or any other names the World tries to stamp on believers, believers have now pursued being "hip" and accepted. Christians, as a whole, have compromised to please the world. Don't "judge" or in real-talk: if you have anything to say that contradicts my comfort zone, then I don't want to hear it... Just be tolerant.


'Tolerance is the virtue of the man who lacks conviction.' {GK Chesterton} 


    But I am not here to pursue that, either. Although my mind races and points to OTHER people... I can't help but hear the Lord speaking to ME. Caelyn Whitlock. 

   What does God want ME to do to begin making that change for the advancement of HIS kingdom and the glory of HIS name?? How now can I live that will be embraced and lived out by my line??

   The article was telling and sparked many thoughts, challenges, and discussion. I encourage you to read it. Ultimately, it led me to consider my own life. How my outward being may represent or misrepresent Christ. These were the thoughts that I shared in reply to the group email:



  I love to relax and dress relaxed. But I realise that how I carry myself and what I wear points to Christ since I already tell people that I am a believer. There is a standard of excellence and chastity that I want to live up to.

   How can I honour The Lord?

   How can I guard my heart and that of fellow believers with my dress (not just guys... but even younger girls who are watching my example)?

   How can I display the beauty of femininity as God intended women to be? Yet, how do I also avoid going to different extremes to accomplish this.

    When Katie and I spoke at PWOC in Alaska, I remember this YOUNG mother that walked in with super-tight jeans, a really tight shirt, loud accessories, etc. I remember thinking: why is she here? She probably is only in Alaska because her soldier boyfriend got her pregnant and they hurriedly got married... At the end of our talk - which, ironically was about older women investing in younger women- she was the ONLY person who came up and she said: 'Thank you so much for taking a step of faith and speaking to an older crowd of women on that topic. I would love to have an older woman investing in my life.'   - I was really convicted by that because this was a woman barely out of girlhood who probably didn't have a father and who was actually sensitive to what scripture had to say to her concerning biblical womanhood.

   (I sure hope I'm making sense.)


     So, I guess what I am saying is that we should set the example by revering God with our entire beings. But I also feel challenged not to be quick to cast judgment based off of someone's appearance. Rather, be intentional with that person. - I don't know if it was that The Lord wanted to discipline me for my hypocrisy or if it is also the case that a lot of those girls (specifically) that dress immodestly would readily welcome the investment of an older woman and the protection of a father.






"If I belittle those whom I am called to serve,
talk of their weak points
in contrast perhaps with what I
think of as my strong points;
if I adopt a superior attitude,
forgetting 'who made thee to 
differ? and what has thou that 
thou hast not received?'
then  I know nothing of Calvary love."  {Amy Carmichael}

No comments:

Post a Comment