Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The King We Have Chosen





Top of the morning to ya! 

    I've been hearing a lot about the government shutdown and enjoying my laughs at political puns and cartoons. I find myself gaining much satisfaction in blogposts and articles that reveal the TRUE agenda of the US government. I also like being able to say: Eh. That doesn't surprise me. After all, this is the government we're talking about. They're basically legalised mafia. 

    I have extremely low - if any - respect for our government. There are a few people I may esteem lightly. But overall, in my opinion, you have to compromise to a degree in order to make it in politics. My mom read a great article the other day that pretty much expressed the vengeful spirit hovering deep within me. As the daughter of a former Army Ranger, I am loyal and proud of the men that serve and their wives/girlfriends and families that support them. I am grateful for the firemen, policemen, the private farmers, and other faithful people in various occupations who have been the backbone of America. When I think of what makes me proud to be an American, I think of these people. 


Not the government. 


    Despite the rooted bitterness that I face every time I read about the nonsense in American politics; I can't help but be reminded of when the Israelites first asked for a king. We do not serve a king. But that was the form of government they were used to and they wanted to be like the nations that surrounded them. 

   America claims to be founded off of biblical principles and Bible-believing founders (I'll spare you my opinion on that). - With this heritage in mind, I will take us back to one of my favourite passages that holds me accountable. It serves as a good reminder for we professing Christians who find ourselves complaining about Obama and every other government figure that we've found ourselves paying exorbitant amounts of taxes to. 


   In 1 Samuel 8, the leaders of Israel approached Samuel demanding a King. Why?? Samuel's sons had rejected the ways of their father, they believed a King could rule them and judge righteously over them, and they wanted to be like the other nations. Samuel's heart did not feel at peace when he heard this. Nevertheless, he prayed to the LORD and this was His answer:


"Listen to the voice of the people in regard to all that they say to you, for they have not rejected you, but they have rejected Me from being king over them. Like all the deeds which they have done since the day that I brought them up from Egypt even to this day - in that they have forsaken Me and served other gods - so they are doing to you also. Now then, listen to their voice; however, you shall solemnly warn them and tell them of the procedure of the king who will reign over them."



What procedure was the LORD referring to???


1.) He will take your sons and place them for himself in his chariots.

2.) He will appoint commanders of thousands and of fifties: to plow, to reap harvest, to make weapons of war, and to make equipment for his chariots.

3.) He will take the best of your fields and vineyards and your olive groves and give them to his servants.

4.) He will take a tenth of your seed. 

5.) He will take a tenth of your flocks and you, yourselves, will become his servants.


   Sound familiar??? I, for one can definitely see that played out in today's government. But look at what the LORD also warned:

"Then you will cry out in that day because your king whom you have chosen for yourselves, but the LORD will not answer you in that day."
  Does THAT sound familiar??? I'd say so. As much as we can blame and hate our government and/or their decisions, we have reaped what we've sown. We raised these leaders. We ignored the warning signs of our trajectory long ago and are "suddenly" surprised by an intelligent, selfish man (Obama) who is manifesting *exactly* what our Marxist society nurtured.

   When the animated movie, Wall-E, came out I was disturbed. It was so so true. We, as Americans, have taken the bait of entertainment and celebrity news. We have allowed ourselves to be numbed and distracted by useless idiocy rather than being aware of the times. 

   Scriptures that speak about being aware and praying for our leaders are really standing out. Why would God warn us? He has warned His people once and we ignored. Now we find ourselves exactly where the Israelites were warned they would be under a king other than God. Yet, in His infinite mercy, He has given us another warning:



1.) Be on your guard.

2.) Know the times.

and,

3.) Pray for those in leadership over you. 



... As much as I want to bash the government (and find myself still doing it), I pray that I will take heed and come up with solutions that are grounded in the Word of God. What kind of future are we fighting for for our children?? During the Labor Movement in the states, many people were hanged by the government so that we could work an 8hr day! How much more so should we fight for the rights and souls of our children???



"Now, therefore, fear the LORD and serve Him in sincerity and truth; and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the LORD, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the river, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."

Joshua 24: 14-15







"Well... That's all I have to say about that."

No comments:

Post a Comment